So many years has passed since I’ve been glued to the television to watch a TV show. This year was different. From the first episode of Empire, I was hooked! I can’t take full credit, my hubby was the one who reeled me into watching it. And, I am glad. For twelve glorious winter weeks (Jan – March), the Empire writers warmed my spirit, had me coming back for more. As we all know, good writers, directors and producers can only do but so much, it’s the actors and actresses that make or break a television production. Thankfully, the Casting Director(s) understood how important it was to cast the right person for the lead role, someone who can pull off Lee Daniel’s vision of Cookie to the tee–Taraji P. Henson.
Fast forward to July, Henson has been nominated for the 67th Emmy Award for ‘Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.’ Do that Ma! This nomination is well deserved because I do not believe that any other actress would have been able to pull the character off with as much class, sass and pizzazz as Henson has done. Of course, my observation is totally biased because, in my house, Empire is the best thing created since Häagen-Dazs ice cream.
Reasons Taraji should Win
Henson deserves the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series because
- It’s Taraji! The down-to-earth actress we’ve come to know and love.
- She owns the Cookie character. Cookie is Taraji and Taraji is Cookie.
- From denial to acceptance, Henson shows the audience a range of emotions. Not to mention, the creative energy between her and co-star, Terrance Howard is explosive!
- The character is so well layered that the audience is not sure what Cookie will do next, but can relate to the character
- The character is so strong, believable and dynamic that fans actually think they know “Cookie,” personally. I know, I do!
Henson is competing with five stellar actresses who has been nominated for this prestigious award:
- Claire Danes, “Homeland”
- Viola Davis, “How to Get Away With Murder”
- Tatiana Maslany, “Orphan Black”
- Elisabeth Moss, “Mad Men”
- Robin Wright, “House of Cards”
Wow, that’s some strong competition! All of these women have done an outstanding job on the drama series they are representing, but I have a softer spot for Ms. Viola Davis, another household favorite, who plays the Annalise Keating character in “How to get away with murder.” Although I have never watched the show, I know that Davis is a strong contender. Her performances in movies like “Antwone Fisher,” “Won’t Back Down” and “The Help” are solid examples of her acting skills.
Nevertheless, I am sticking to my original, biased assertion! Henson should win because I believe she brought something unique and irreplaceable to the Empire cast. In my opinion, nobody would have been able to play Cookie better than Henson. Hands down, end of story!